- MATES is an acronym for Mates Assisting To Engage Socially
- It’s a simple concept; it’s a proactive rather than a reactive solution to exclusion.
- MATES is a school based, peer led, social inclusion and leadership programme.
- MATES pairs students, one playing a leadership role by socially supporting a peer who may have difficulty with socialisation.
- The MATES leader is recognized as part of the school leadership team – creating more leadership opportunities for students
You don’t have to change the whole world, but you can change one person’s world.
Outcomes for Students
- Creates a sense of belonging at school for all students
- Empowers students to believe they can make a difference
- Develops a sense of empathy
Leadership skills are nurtured
- High peer expectations of fellow students are established
- Allows students to challenge the status quo
Outcomes for Schools
- Creates a more caring and engaged student cohort
- Social Justice is concretely implemented in the school
- Creates a paradigm shift in the school’s culture, by empowering the students to lead the change and set the standards of inclusion in their community
- Removes the onus from the teachers to the students
- Making school about success, not just education
- Can reduce negative behavior in class triggered by frustration
- Students’ sense of belonging promotes a more settled class